Youth Programs & Services
Our Drug and Alcohol Youth Outpatient team draws upon effective research practices and relationship building strategies agency staff have documented as appropriate for engaging youth in positive activities which will help them be healthier and stronger. We have provided specific evidence-based, promising practices in our chemical dependency programming since 2003. Our youth program philosophy is based on the following key assumptions:
- Our staff is trained to effectively engage the “toughest” youth (i.e., youth with repeated experience in treatment, cultural issues and challenges, those who “don’t like to be told what to do”, challenge authority figures, challenge boundaries and limits).
- Often these youth are forced into “adult-like” situations at an early age and need to take on more responsibilities than the typical youth.
- It is important to start with youth by “reaching where they are”; to balance a professional approach to counseling with the belief that youth are doing the best they can given their experiences.
- Engagement, at all phases of the treatment process, with children, youth and their families is a crucial component of a successful process.
- Culturally sensitive and competent services are crucial to success of the program.
- The foundation of our approach is based on mental health recovery principles.
- Family engagement and involvement is critical to treatment success.
- Youth are part of a system and working with and within that system is key to facilitating successful outcomes.
- Outpatient Treatment
- Intensive Outpatient Treatment
- Drug/Alcohol Education
- Individual counseling
- Group therapy
- Family intervention
- Vocational training
- Co-occurring treatment (in conjunction with Mental Health team)
- Parenting training
- Intensive family-based treatment (MST)
- School-based treatment
- Intensive case management
- Life/social skills training
- Connection to educational/vocational and employment resources
- Community-based support/clean and sober recreation
- Crisis intervention
- Wraparound teams
- Continuing care/after care
Our staff is well trained in the use of the following Evidence-Based Practices and treatment models:
- ASAM Participant Placement Criteria
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Global Assessment of Individual Need (GAIN)
- Seven Challenges
- Motivational Interviewing/Enhancement
- Multisystemic Therapy (MST)
- Cannabis Youth Treatment
- Wraparound Process
“Recovery is all about rebuilding a life, because you’re so different when you’re using. And that’s what THS did for me- helped me rebuild my life.”